Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Glass Castle

      The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls is the story of her life. While reading it amazes me that all of the events actually happened to her. While reading I've noticed that each chapter ends with a somewhat clever line. One really interesting one to me was:
"You'd be destroying what makes it special," she said. "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty." 
Jeannette's mom was talking about the tree, but I'm pretty sure Jeannette put this in hear for a reason. Because her own struggle is what gave her beauty. It's what made her special and who she is. And I think this is very true. The hard things people go through make them better people and really make them who they are. It shapes them most likely into a better person. So like a Joshua tree a person's beauty comes from their struggles.

1 comment:

  1. i agree with the idea that a person's struggle will make them stronger. I feel like most novels have their character go threw a main struggle that in turn changes who they are. like in Looking For Alaska, and Charlottes web.

    ReplyDelete