Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Glass Castle 2

     In The Glass Castle I've found that the dad in the book is very unfair. He doesn't really support his family like he should. He spends all of their money and leaves them for days at a time. He doesn't treat his kids with much care. He kind of pushes them around, but he is doing what he thinks is best for them. He means good I guess, but still he could be a much better dad and husband. I guess you could say I didn't like the character of the dad. Or at least I thought I didn't. But at almost the end of the book I changed my mind. I mean i still saw all his flaws, but I really felt bad for him and I saw that he was a good person who had just been really messed up. The part right before Jeanette leaves to go to New York. The night before she leaves her dad comes into her room and talks to her about finally building the glass castle and she tells him he never will. You see a side of him that only wants to help his kids and be a good person. You see someone who wants another chance. But she doesn't give that too him and that probably is the right thing to do. Even though he wants to do good she knows he can never change the way he is. She has to get away before it gets worse and she becomes trapped. So even if leaving her dad and her family seemed somewhat harsh, but mostly sad, It was the right thing to do. 

  
     

2 comments:

  1. Molly, your posts are very short and don't really go in-depth. Can you start thinking about paragraphing and elaborating more? Look at some other blogs that you *know* are great to get ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have good ideas in each blog. But on this one, you should...
    -Expand on each idea in details... Each idea you have should be a new paragraph
    -Give examples from the book that help explain or support the different ideas you have
    -Give a little bit of background about each topic, and relate to each other
    -Relate the ideas and the characters to you, and if they have problems...How can you relate to them?
    -Try to relate the characters problems to the different themes or ideas you have on the book

    ReplyDelete