Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just Listen

     In Just Listen by Sarah Dessen, Annabel Greene is shut out by her friends. She is ignored and called a whore by girls who she used to spend every weekend with. All this happens to Annabel for something she didn't even do, but no one will give her the chance to speak for herself. Nobody will hear the truth. She is judged by everyone for her every move. She has no one to talk to and no one she can trust.

Annabel is alone.

     I personally can totally relate to Annabel. In fourth grade I was blamed for something i didn't do. No one would listen to me or believe what i had to say was the truth. I had no one to talk to, but everyone talked about me. Like Annabel these were people I had known since I was little and spent countless hours hanging out with. Those hours didn't seem to matter to anyone. Trust that had been built of years totally broke down in a matter of minutes. Nothing would ever be the same after that.

I was alone.

     Annabel found someone to talk to. She found Owen. Even though he wasn't someone she ever thought would be a close friend he became one. He became her only one. I predict through out the rest of the book they will start dating and then some big problem will arise, but by the last page they will be happily together.
    
     I never built that trust back with anyone at that school. But now that I no longer go there (that has nothing to do with what happened in fourth grade) I've been able to find many people trust and spend time with. Like Annabel, I've moved on. I predict that Annabel in the end might end up with some of her old friends. Even though that wasn't the case for me I'm probably better off with the people I'm friends with today anyway. So in the end no one is ever alone, there is always someone who will be willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment